Bells at All Saints’ have rung for hundreds of years to remind people of God and to call worshippers to church.
Our bell ringers are local people, some of whom are church goers who want to give a service to the church and enjoy some aerobic exercise. We ring for about 20 minutes before the 10:00am service on the 1st, 3rd and 5th Sunday of the month, and on request for special occasions such as weddings and funerals. We practise for an hour from 7:30pm on a Tuesday evening.
Do you qualify as a likely bell ringer?
- Can you climb 39 steps to the ringing room?
- Can you lift a bag of shopping?
- Do you have the co-ordination need for activities such as riding a bike, driving a car or swimming?
- Do you have rhythm (most important) to count from 1 to 10 and back again from 10 to 1?
- Could you memorise a numerical pattern such as Queens on ten bells i.e. 1,3,5,7,9,2,4,6,8,10?
- Could you fit into a band of friendly assorted people?
If the answer is “yes” or “possibly” to most of the above, then why not give bell ringing a try. And once you have learned the basic techniques you will always be welcome when visiting other towers.
For more information on becoming a bell ringer, please complete the form below.